Social Media Personas
- I want to know where the latest parties are and who is attending them.
- I want to go to Facebook and Instagram to get the latest news.
- I want to do what others do, which is rely on local news organizations to keep me updated through social media.
- I want to buy advertisements in the Southampton Press, but only digitally. Print has died.
- I want to know that the Southampton Press is providing better coverage on social media than in the paper. I don’t have time to read the paper, but scrolling through Facebook, Twitter and Instagram fit just fine.
- I want to go to Twitter whenever news is happening around me, just so I can quickly get in and out with the information.
- I want to do fun things with my wife and child; events found through the Southampton Press’s social media channels.
- I want to buy into the idea that the posts provided by the Southampton Press on Instagram, Twitter and Facebook are current and relevant. If they are, then maybe I’d find a way to reach into my wallet and buy advertising both digitally and in print.
These are just a couple of personas created to depict people in the Hamptons. I chose younger people because the Southampton Press could do a better job targeting those younger generations. The questions asked who, what, why and how – minus the where, these are basics of journalism that all reporters are able to answer. When creating the personas in preparation for the creation of a social media plan, these questions help understand the demographic the paper is missing, while also addressing what can be done to reach them.
Several of the readings this week all pointed to reasons why a social media plan needs to be incorporated into the marketing plan. The ones that stuck out to me were that having a good social media plan helps establish the brand, create legitimacy and possibly increase sales. By establishing brand for the younger generation, more people will end up liking the posts from the Southampton Press while also following them. As a result, the Southampton Press will become a legitimate source for news on social media – which the younger generation swipes through for news. When those numbers go up, so do the set of eyes on the content, and if advertising can be strategically placed, the sales will increase.